Cross reliquary ("First Libeanau Cross"), nach 1342
About the object
As the inscription states, this precious wrought gold artefact was intended for the Liebenau Dominican convent near Worms. The cross, designed as the Tree of Life, contains a relic of the Calvary cross at its centre. The hinged crucifix in front enables it to be folded away. The enamelled depictions of animals of the reverse symbolise the sacrificial death, the resurrection and the ascension of Christ.