Reliquary casket with scenes from the Passion of Christ, 1530
About the object
This precious box in the form of a small house was used to accommodate relics of the two patron saints of Constance, Conrad and Pelagius. These are shown on the narrower sides of the box, which was based on Renaissance design. Scenes from the Passion are reproduced on the longer sides. Albrecht Dürer’s prints served as a template for the goldsmith.